Monday 24 August 2009

Satisfy your craving for Penang food


Char Koay Teow. I chomped it down readily.


Penang Curry Mee. Soup is not too thick and prawns are big.

My mum was a Penangnite and when I was a kid, we always made what seem to me an annual "food" pilgrimage back to Penang. What made me excited during the long ardous journey back was the promise of koay teow thng (flat rice noodles in duck soup with bouncy fishballs, char koay teow (fried rice noodles with prawms and clams), Penang laksa, loh bak (assorted fried meat) and oh jian (fried oyster ommelette) when we arrived. The list goes on. Even now I make sure I go back every year to visit my aunts and alas Penang food with my loving bf. He will make the trip back with me every year even though Penang is not the most exciting isle on earth.

I never quite seem to find Penang food in Singapore that satisfies my craving. Even Penang buffets in big hotels dont seem quite near to Penang standards. But if the craving kicks in, I will visit this humble hawker store in ABC Market which is near to Ikea Alexandra. It is called Jason Penang Cuisine, Block 6, #01-113, Jalan Bukit Merah. It is closed on Monday.

A plate of hot piping char koay teow is only $2.50 with big prawns and springy koay teow plus clams! So is the curry mee with flavoursome soup and tau pok that squirts curry as you bite into them. They serve many Penang favourites like laksa too. Looking at the pictures make me salivate again. As portions are not big, you can actually order 3 dishes with a friend and savour them All!

No comments: